Once upon a time I was a famous artist. Well, not really but I like to think I was. The Pop Shop a local dinner in Collingswood was a place my family always ate at. We were regulars, even with our own waitress Vanessa. I did that exact thing and decorated my own chef hat, it was pretty good for a 7-year-old in my opinion. When we left Vanessa hung this hat up on the wall for all to see instead of just throwing it away (like any old waitress), and the next time we went back she told me I was a famous artist.
This all took place in my hometown, Collingswood NJ. This town has taken my family and me in since I was one . For the last 14 years, I’ve been enjoying this little town and running around like fools with my friend’s. Below I will list all 7 perks of Collingswood that I’ve enjoyed on my journey.
1.Can walk EVERYWHERE
Get your walking shoes on everyone, preferably Nike. Collingswood, just like any small town is a place you can walk everywhere. And that is exactly what I do whenever I want to get anywhere. I walk to and from high school soccer, to meet up with my friend’s, and anything else you can imagine. It’s pretty convenient most of the time. Besides when you’re very very sore from the practice that happened previously 🙂
- Everybody knows Everybody
No one who lives in Collingswood is a nobody! No matter who you are you won’t ever be able to go outside without seeing a familiar face. Whether it be your neighbor or the police chief you will always have a friendly conversation before getting to any of your destinations.
- Your Dogs are well known also!
My dogs are true runners. Every chance they get they will run away. Luckily our gate is not open that much. However, if they were to get out, I know they would be returned back to my family and me safe and happy. Maybe my dogs are more popular than me?!
4. Fun Activities
Seasons! Seasons! Seasons! We have a parade and/or fair for any season of the year. These Parades and fairs include:
- The May Fair
- This fair takes place in Spring and believe it or not in my birthday Month! The May Fair has everything from food trucks to carnival rides. Oh, the memories that are made.
- The Holiday Parade
- This parade occurs in the winter close to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Chanukah time. People dressed up as Reindeer and Spongebob appear. And there is even a big Band performance. All Collingswooders gather all along Haddon Ave, the ‘main street’ with their coffee to experience this fabulous parade.
- The Tree Lighting
- Santa makes a special appearance during this special tradition. While he is in Collingswood he lights up the town, including the biggest tree in the middle of town. He also meets with children from all over town.
- The Book Fair
- The Book Fair takes place in the fall and not only does it expose young children to books but it has crafts and vendors to keep all ages occupied.
- The Farmers Market
- This is not under the category of fair or parade, but it sure is a big part of Collingswood. It includes fresh fruits and vegetables from local farms and excellent food from town stores. It occurs every Saturday!
Collingswood is very close to Philadelphia, a city in Pennsylvania. I live about 15 minutes away from this awesome city, and a short train ride away. This closeness is amazing when you’re looking for a day trip away from town.
- It’s hard to get lost
No matter how hard you try you will probably never succeed in getting lost in Collingswood. Once you move here your face is a familiar face that is recognized by everyone. Hide and go seek games are very quick here.
- You are always welcome
If you’re a newbie or an oldie who went away for awhile you will always be welcomed here. You will always enter with a big warm greeting from old and new friends. I know if I ever want to come back after college and start a career here I will be supported 100% of the way through.